29 thoughts on “Travel Tips for Photographers: Gear, Trip Planning, Packing Tips, & More! on Picture This! ep. 32

1. Bradley Smith says:

Long exposures in software on phone cameras sounds great! (i.e. without ND filters). Anyone got a recommendation for how to do this on android? So far I've only found MEC Multiple Exposure Camera.

2. DML Channel says:

Good tips.

Under the "Security" heading, cover the brand name of the camera with black electrical tape. Potential robbers, to an extent, are pragmatic in that they might not risk stealing a generic brand camera. If they don't see Nikon or Canon emblazoned on the camera, they might skip you as a target as risk-versus-reward isn't entirely favorable for them in that case. This is precaution is obviated if you are carrying a large, expensive appearing, telephoto lens on your camera.

As mentioned, never carry a camera with the advertisement of what its worth. Nothing screams "payday" like someone wearing a camera whose strap says Nikon D5.

More than that though, a common method of robbery is the motorbike attack consisting of a driver and a knife-equipped accomplice. They drive up next to you and the knife robber simply cuts your should strap, grabs your camera and bag, the motorbike driver guns it and and off they go. These are professionals and this robbery takes all of two seconds. Get a camera shoulder strap (or bag strap) with quality steel cables (usually two) contained within the strap itself. Once the initial attack at cutting the bag is unsuccessful, they're gone.

Hope this helps.

3. Michael Angelo H. says:

As for using Lightroom on a tablet; You're not going to get a very accurate representation unless you have one of those fancy top-tier versions, especially when it comes to colors. But even brightness and such, how it comes across, unless you're purely dependent on the histogram or something, is not going to look as it really is as you would see it on a proper monitor or something. – Correct me if I'm wrong, but not just any LCD-screen will cut it.
    Especially not if you have my iPad, the 4th, from 2012… I'm typing on it right now and it's not keeping up with it. – Just saying, you'll need a fancy schmansy iPad then. That would be like a $750+, which not many people want to cough up for an iPad. I don't. I got mine for free in a lottery. It's just half a decade old now… XD

4. Rodney Aiken says:

We travel on our motorcycles a lot so we have to travel light and we're usally at a different place ever night. If you take 1 pair of socks and underware and roll it up in a tee shirt you don't have to dig through all your tightly packed close every morning

5. Anthony Johnston says:

Funny that this video just came out the day before i went traveling. I went to Tiger Leaping Gorge in China to do some treks. I took ALL of my gear but the one change I made was just buying a very little cheap tripod thats about 3/5th the size of the manfrotto befree tripod. My backpack was still WAY to heavy. I really wish that just had a single 24-105 lens instead of taking all my lenses which are 3 primes and the 70-200… best tip, GET A TRAVEL LENS! the kit lens that came with your camera is probably best haha oh my shoulders still hurt!

6. Nick Hyatt says:

Good tip about putting all your trip details on your phone. I've used Evernote (https://evernote.com) for years to do this. Make the trip an offline notebook and then, regardless of whether you have wifi or 3g / 4g connection, all that info will be there in your hand.

7. Dean says:

Lens Choices: A Macro lens is often an interesting lens to take traveling. It ensures you look for little details which add to the story your photos tell. It also doubles as a good portrait or standard prime lens. I use a Canon 50mm FD Macro (for portability). It's most commonly on the crop sensor body, but this again shows the versatility you get when couples travel with APSC and FF in the same system.

8. Dean says:

Lens Choices: All in one zoom is great, but also take a good prime lens that has a wide aperture (I use 35mm F2.8). It will be more useful in town in the evenings.

9. Dean says:

Travelling with your spouse: Consider being in same system, but one full frame and one APS-C. It gives you a lot of versatility with lenses and focal lengths. (I find Sony E-Mount works well).