Switzerland Travel Tips: 10 Things to Know Before You Go to Switzerland

45 thoughts on “Switzerland Travel Tips: 10 Things to Know Before You Go to Switzerland

1. Michael S says:

Nice video. You should mention tourist can enjoy "Tax Free Shopping" by using the "Blue Tax Free Form". This can be obtained at the customs counter and instruction can be found online.

2. I beat Osu! says:

The 8.5 % is tax.
    Tipping here in switzerland is really your choice. They wont look bad at you for not tipping. But i would recommend if you've found your service to be really good, i would recommend to tip the waitress.

3. Wüthrich Oliver says:

I'm Swiss and I want to mention 3 things

1. Good Job 🙂

2. There is no tax on the plastic bottles this is simply not true. Buy your bottled water in a grocery and its almost the same price as in the US (1.5 liters for 0.5 CHF)

3. If you want to eat good and not that expensive, step out of the touristic hotspots and you will find your Pizza margarita for 12-14 CHF.

4. Anthony Kernich says:

If you want cheap trains, book 30 days in advance and you get 50% off the regular fares. The tickets are non-transferable though.

Swiss food is the total opposite of Singapore, so expensive! I'm gonna skimp and do supermarkets to get me by lol

5. Helene Chambert says:

in Restaurants it is usual to ad a 10% tip…..American tourist are often adviced not to tip as there is already tip included in the menu this leads to that a lot of servers are not to sold on americans. Also try not to eat like a pig, fully accetable in the us, not so much here….

6. Isabelle Alvarado says:

Because of climat change we get really hot summers lately. 5-10 years ago we were lucky to have one week or so over 30 C in summer. Now its getting more intense every year and we are not used to it. This is why most places dont have A/C.

7. Adrian says:

Cool Video.. but you still tip in Switzerland, even if there are 8% charged already you still pay tip because it is seen as not so polite to not tip at all. 🙂

8. r3koFresh says:

9:45 wrong, this is taxing, it is also on every other food you buy.
    People are getting paid enough, they don´t need tipping. But of course, if service was good -> give a tip or just round up

The weather in summer can be very hot, in winter, it is always under 0°C, bring the right clothes.

9. Harry Nuts says:

Noticed two things a bit weird when i was in Interlaken.One,the amount of north american muscle cars was unreal,mustangs,camaros,and chargers were everywhere and two,the kids would whizz down the streets on mopeds with NO HELMETS and a disregard for pedestrians (look both ways),,LOL

10. Luke says:

*Food Prices*: Yes, prices for food are expensive in Switzerland. But what's most expensive is eating out. For Swiss people, eating out isn't nearly as commonplace as it is in the US, it's more something we do on special occasions. So if you're on a budget, consider buying meats, cheese and bread in a supermarket, and making sandwiches for lunch. And if your accomodation includes a kitchen or a common room to prepare food, you can save a lot by preparing your own food (like store bought pasta and a sauce).
    But the tip with cafeteria-style restaurants in department stores definitely is a good one, those indeed tend to be quite a bit cheaper.

11. Luke says:

Money Exchange: Avoid the dedicated currency exchange booths at the train stations. They often have significant fees, you usually get much better rates if you simply walk a couple blocks to any regular bank and exchange your money there.

12. Luke says:

As a Swiss person, I approve of this video 🙂 It's very accurate, and there's some lesser known helpful tips in there (Swiss Travel Pass, SBB mobile app, water fountains, …). Well done! 🙂

13. Scottman895 Travel says:

Great tips! I'll keep these in mind for when I decide to visit Switzerland someday. I had no idea on how warm it can get there in the summer although it doesn't surprise me too much since it was warm (at least 80 degrees Fahrenheit or 27 degrees Celsius) when I was in Slovenia. I think that was around the same time when you were over in Switzerland.

14. Lilly Magnolia says:

I love your videos. This is a good one! It's been a long time since I was in Zurich. May I make a suggestion? In each country when you tell how much items cost there would you give the exchange rate you used? That would help in understanding the cost. Thank you so much. I really enjoy your channel.

15. Tranefine says:

As a Swiss, CHF 20.– vor a pizza is very cheap for me. There is food even more expensive. And about smalltalk in Switzerland… I'm currently in Australia and everywhere I go people ask you "How are you doing?" At the beginning of my travel that was kind of weird and new for me because in Switzerland you just pay at the counter and that's it! ;D