20 Travel Tips For Visiting CUBA – 2016 (holiday help, advice & suggestions)

47 thoughts on “20 Travel Tips For Visiting CUBA – 2016 (holiday help, advice & suggestions)

1. Acteaon says:

Great video thank you for sharing your experience. It seems like you went to Cuba about six months before I did. So I went to Cuba in January 2017 and my experience was pretty much the same as yours Gayle but I did find some things to be not as true as your experience. Regarding the money, the Cuban peso and Cuban convertible I had access to both. It may have because I spoke Spanish. And I didn’t need a passport to make my conversions whether it was at a bank or at a house of change. And yes you’re correct about the 10% US tax but what I did was convert my US dollars here in America to euros and take euros to Cuba where the exchange rate was far better than the US dollar. For the Internet access yes I did have to buy One of those Internet cards at one or two dollars but I did not need a passport for that. Toilet issue was pretty spot in lol. I was there for about the same that you were there I was there for about 10 days. The plug issue was not an issue. As for the luggage I had heard about that issue prior to going so I did not check any bags. I made sure that I got a slightly larger carry-on that still met carry on dimension requirements and had my bag with me at all times while traveling so that I didn’t have that delayed or lost luggage issue. Thanks again for sharing.

2. Carlos Burrowes says:

Tourist going to communist #Cuba must know that in Cuba there is a violation of human rights and there is no rule of law
    Communist elections in #Cuba are a gear of corruption to appear to the world real choice when in truth it is fraud
    If we describe the election fraud in #Cuba, is a race of horse where it runs only 1 horse.
    Communist Election fraud in #Cuba means no future in Cuba and more human exodus of Cubans
    The Communist dictatorship in Cuba is doing fraud (not multi party elections) and that is the true blockade.
    When communist #Cuba dictatorship asks #UN to remove US embargo, Why doesnt #UN ask Cuba PCC to hold free multiparty election?

3. Airport Info HQ says:

21:49 TIP15. MONEY
    25:20 TIP16. MOSQUITOES
    26:10 TIP17. NUMBER PLATES
    27:06 TIP18. TAKING ART HOME
    27:47 TIP19. OFFLINE MAPS
    28:53 TIP20.DELAYED LUGGAGE
    Thanks for sharing this video.Very helpful.

4. Terry Rhyne says:

She said in the video that there were places that she couldn't get any money. So that's why I said to take cash.I been going to Cuba since 1997, love spent a lot of time there. And you don't have to bring up politics.

5. Terry Rhyne says:

To remake it, you don't have to get butt hurt.I didn't say her advice was bad. I repeat I don't understand why people think they know enough to give advice when they have only been there one time for three weeks.

6. Terry Rhyne says:

I don't understand why so many people today are making travel videos of countries after they go to on their first trip for week or two…You have a lot more to learn before you try to tell others what to do. Cuba is not difficult, its very basic. Just take lots of cash and you want have any problems. Remember to keep an eye on it and don't give it all away.

7. Miranda Daniels says:

If you are going to Cuba. Please do not bring tons of gifts and give them away to hotel staff, taxi drivers, bar staff or anybody else working in the tourist industry! These people have it made in Cuban society! Especially, Play d'Este They have this mafioso circle where they sell overpriced drinks and pocket the excess! Then everybody gets a cut. They'll steal out of your suitcases. All the police that patrol the area are in on it!Never use hotel safes!

Instead! Take a tour someplace and give your gifts to regular Cubans.

NEVER TELL ANYBODY YOUR DEPARTURE DATE!!!! YOU WILL GET ASKED THIS OFTEN! USUALLY THE DAY BEFORE YOUR DEPARTURE, BAD THINGS TEND TO HAPPEN! WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO? SPEND THE WHOLE DAY AT A POLICE STATION WHEN YOU HAVE TO GET TO THE AIRPORT!? ALWAYS SAY YOU ARE THERE FOR A MONTH!

I LOVE CUBA BUT PLEASE BEWARE PLAYA D'ESTE 18 KM FROM HAVANA. HAVANA DOES NOT HAVE A BEACH. THIS BEACH IS THE CLOSEST TO HAVANA.

OTHERWISE! ENJOY YOUR TRIP!

8. Miranda Daniels says:

I live with my spouse in western Cuba 1/2 the year. ( No loud mouth spoiled tourists there ) Yes! People do have to work! Work or die! My father in law is a farmer. He grows beans, tomatoes, yucca etc. He doesn't make any money but might make 40 CUC once a year from selling 2 bags of rice.

9. Callum Ellington says:

Hey Gayle, I am away to Varadero in November, all inclusive. I am staying in the Blau Marina Varadero Resort.  It is a good job that I did do my homework and search videos like this one, it is so detailed and this has made me so excited even more.
    I'm flying with Virgin Atlantic from London Gatwick so at least it is a direct flight to Havana then a 2.5 hour transfer to the hotel.

Great video and a massive like from me!

10. islandgirl3330 says:

Gayle, thanks for your video.  I have been to Cuba many times, but I usually stay at resorts and just go out on tours.  This video is excellent for people who are new to Cuba, especially if they are travelling around on their own.

11. islandgirl3330 says:

My rule of thumb when travelling in most countries.  Only drink things that are coming from a bottle unless you are at a hotel or tourist restaurant.  Re:  gifts.  I always take toiletries.  They are sometimes limited in Cuba because of shortages and the quality is not that great and sometimes I think they are rationed (not too sure about the rationing, maybe when there are shortages – thanks to the embargo from you know who).  I think it is important for hygienic purposes so that people are clean.  I forgot to mention, when travelling around walk with some toilet paper, hand wipes and a few sheets of paper towels on you.  I always do.  You never know when nature will call and you may have to go to a public washroom and everything is not there.

12. islandgirl3330 says:

Don't forget that the CUC that tourists use are not the same as the Cubans use.  Be careful with the money when you get change.  There are two kinds of currencies used in Cuba.  No U.S. money or U.S. bank cards accepted.

13. Alan Jenko says:

What you said about KLM worries me because im taking a cruise starting in Havana meaning i fly from Dublin to Amsterdam then to Havana with KLM so if it doesnt come.. im stuck on a cruise with nada hahahaha

14. KristinaMonte says:

Hello, loved the video and got a lot of information from it. I will be traveling to Holquin in May and would like to take the bus to La Havana (a 10 hours ride). I would like to spend a day in La Havana and stay in a Casa at night. How do you come into contact with Casa owners, or do you have an reliable address for me. Thank you.

15. Alex Walsh says:

Really helpful, thanks for posting.
    I am going to in July this year, I'm interested to know how much rain you actually got in your time there given it was the rainy season? I'm nervous of it being a wash-out.
    We're staying in Cayo coco but are planning a trip to Havana, flights the last time i looked are £250 each return which is incredibly expensive. Do you know if it's cheaper to book once you're there?
    Thanks!

16. Roland Jefferson says:

Question: I mailed a package of clothes to a non- relative family in Cuba. PO said it could not exceed a value of $200. Ok. Then I looked at your videos and several other videos, and people are getting off the planes from JFK & Miami bringing big-screen tv's and appliances worth a whole lot more than $200? What part of this picture am I missing?

17. Helen Stevens says:

Excellent practical info – thank you. Few similarities to SE Asia re drinking water & toilets. You just can't drink it & everyone buys bottled. Food looks univiting. How do you think pescatarian will cope?

18. Daykami Cruz says:

casually I was in Dubai at the same time, I recommend it for you. I didn't need anything of what you recommended here. but I didn't pay 30 dollars for the suite where the AC bothered me. so save up more for your next vacation or don't go to cuba. VIEJA ESTUPIDA

19. Christine Jernigan says:

What a dear person you are to help folks like me who want to know more about Cuba before traveling. And your mother seems awesome. I really loved your hints. The music was a bit loud at the beginning and it was hard to hear you. But I love your music choices. After your positive comments, I'm even more excited about going. Thank you!