17 Air Travel Tips

35 thoughts on “17 Air Travel Tips

1. Annabells says:

What about during? Can you use your phone? Or do I need it on airplane mode? Not even sure what airplane mode is. I've been on a plane a couple times but this was over a decade ago when phones werent a big thing, and not to mention i was like 12.

2. bandgeek9723 says:

Flew commercially for the first time by myself recently. Got one of those biscuit cookie things on one of my flights. They were pretty good! Also, this video helped me prepare, so thanks.

3. Douglas Rau says:

So I flew to Memphis this past February, and if I may humbly add some things, not to step on Hank's toes but just to be helpful: A) If you get through security and you have one of those rollie bags (like Hank showed), they will give you a tag to put on it and then they can take it and put it elsewhere on the plane. This is AWESOME because you don't have to worry about paying for checking a bag, or that bag being put on the wrong plane and you end up in Tennessee and your clothes end up in Alaska, looking for you (see what I did there?). You also don't have to worry about lifting a somewhat heavy bag above your head into the overhead compartment. BUT I noticed like 95% of these bags are black and when you are lined up in the tunnel thing that connects the gate to the plane and you're in the back of that line, every black bag looks the same. So if you can buy a rollie bag that is red or yellow, you're ahead of the game. B) If you're going to be traveling a lot, the smaller the laptop you can travel with, the better. I got stuck in Newark International for HOURS once (delayed coming out of Memphis, missed a connecting flight, had to way for a van to take me to Allentown, PA), and I had my heavy, 17.5 inch computer on my arm and at the end of hours, my shoulder was ready to fall off. And of course, in the world we live in, leaving your stuff sitting somewhere is completely not an option. So now I have a lovely 11.6'' screen laptop that, when it is in its bag and on my arm, weighs like nothing. Well, it's weighs 5 lbs which might as well be nothing. It's beautiful. Does it have all the bells and whistles of my other one? No, but it has enough, it does the basic computer things for when I travel.

4. Places 2 Go Travel says:

Excellent tips here, especially the tip about tolerance for the mood of other passengers. One further tip – make sure you get up and walk around or just stretch yourself out at least every hour. This will make the "cramped in a airplane seat" feeling reduce and so improve how you are physically feeling and therefore your mood – obviously it's not healthy to sit in a seat and not move for several hours.

5. Wendy Taylor says:

This year my parents moved away from the boarding school I attend, so I flew home a lot. I promised myself in September that whenever I encountered a downward slope in an airport hallway I would run down it with reckless abandon. Many startled passerby later, I keep the streak. It makes traveling a little less stressful, and never fails to make me smile

6. TheFIRSTSoprol says:

Bit of background about the no electronics during take off and landing from an aviation nerd; ideally, the inflight crew (pilots and flight attendants) want you to be paying attention during that time as those are the most critical parts of the flight, and if they need to get you out of that plane in 45 seconds, they will be shouting commands (not in the PA system) at you which are completely useless if you are absorbed in a movie with headphones in. Also, yes, the pilots can miss a landing spot as they descend if enough people forgot to turn their electronic devices into airplane mode and all of a sudden at ten thousand feet, they all connect. This causes a lot of noise in between the pilots and air traffic control and important messages can and have been lost due to this. If your airline of choice says that you can use your electronic devices gate to gate (meaning during all parts of flight including take off and landing) that means that they have gone through extensive testing and certifications with international and federal aviation regulators to get that permission. This took my airline of choice four years to get. But, if they don't have permission yet, please don't argue about it. There are airline rules, and then there are federal aviation rules (Department of Transportation and Transport Canada to name a few) and then there is the International Air Transportation Association Regulations. If it a rule that the airline has, more than likely it is due to one or more of the higher up regulatory bodies enforcing them to have said rule.